Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Good Doctor...


by Gary McWilliams
aka "The Festival Nomad"

We didn’t know much about Cobourg and area, so after our move, Judi and I decided to explore the Northumberland Hills. Driving straight north from Cobourg, on Highway (now county) road 45, we encountered the Hamlet of Baltimore. As we drove through, a light went off! Baltimore, I remembered, was where my father’s mother’s family was from! Deep in my memory, I had remembered that their name was Turner and that my Great Grandfather had been a county Doctor! I thought he must have been a great man, traveling the countryside in his black carriage, healing and comforting the sick! A pillar of the community! I had to find out more! Shortly after my “discovery”, I visited our local library. I figured that my Great Grandfather must have been a prominent member of the community and that there must have been something written about him in the local newspaper. Fortunately our library had “microfiche” copies of old newspapers, so I started looking through them. After a long search I finally found the name “Dr. Turner”. There were three articles! I started to read... and you won't believe what I read!
(To Be Continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment